Friday, January 14, 2011

From a loving granddaughter

Just an anecdote I wish to share with everyone.

I lost my maternal Grandmother yesterday, on the 13th of January. She was really close to me. She saw me grow from a toddler to a teenager.
She was sent to Goa at my uncle's owing to some problems back home. I was 11. Out of the 9 years that she was there, she was bedridden for the last 5 years and tortured by my relatives. There was nothing me or my family could do about it.
So much so, that they didn't even know when she expired. They didn't even call my family and inform my mom. She got to know from a third person.

I had met her on the 3rd of November 2010 after 8 years. She initially failed to recognise me. When she did, we just stared at each other and wept. Being immobile she could not even hug me. I knew it was the last time I was seeing her. Intuition maybe. 
That was the first time I felt, she would be at peace only after death. I cried a lot that day.
I fought with my relatives. I was alone. Parents were not around. I don't know what gave me the courage, maybe it was her blessings and her love.
It was a chaotic time.

Today, I know she is by God's side. She is constantly watching me and guiding me. Having suffered a lot on Earth, she is now a part of a happy afterlife.

I had applied for my passport on Nov 1, before I had left for Goa.
Every once a week during my internship, over December,  I visited the passport office, in vain. I had in a way given up on that document.
I kept checking for updates, kept pestering dad over it. Nothing worked out.

My dad received my passport today by post, an hour before she was buried in Goa at 4pm.
That was her parting gift for me.


A sincere request to whoever is reading this,
Please pray for her. Her name is Violet Almeida.

2 scribbling(s):

Himankur said...

may she rest in peace..

sheela said...

yes dear, that very true me and mammu said the same thing that before her last rites could begin MAI saw to it that your Passport reached our hands. that's the bonding of love, affection, care and concern Mai has for you her GRAND Child. you were always in her prayers and now also Mai will definitely pray for you and Guide you and protect you in all your problems and happiness also. let us all pray for her happy afterlife. amen.
Pappu and Mammu

Post a Comment